Areas of Interest
- TQM, SPC, ISO 9000 Training and Implementation
- Software Quality Delivery
- Taguchi Methods, Design of Experiments
- Operations and Manufacturing Management
- Genetic Algorithm Applications in Management Science
- Eleven years as full professor (IIT Kanpur and University of Toronto):
Teaching and research in Industrial Management, Computing, IT, OR/Management Science and Applied Statistics; Head of the Department; Head Institute Student Counselling Service; Chairman Senate Library Committee
- Sixteen years as engineering, R&D and manufacturing manager and corporate planner at EXXON Corp. New York
- Author of five texts in Quality Assurance and Computer Science; wrote India's first text on Taguchi methods and a best seller on ISO 9000
- Published/presented over 60 technical papers between 1970 and 1997
- Organized and conducted over 25 continuing education programs, in-company training and consultancy projects
- Founding Faculty, School of Management, Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok, Thailand. Designed Information Technology component including business applications of IT for AIT's two-year MBA program
Current teaching encompasses Operations and IT management, Simulation, Decision Analysis, Probability and Statistics, SPC, TQM/ISO 9000/QS 9000, and Taguchi Methods; Designed and taught five new courses at IIT Kanpur
Research is focused on extensions of Taguchi's robust design Methods, computational optimization using evolutionary search, and the scheduling of complex manufacturing/service/IT systems; completed four R&D projects
Administrative: Head, Department of Industrial & Management Engineering; Head, Student Counselling Service; Chairman Senate Library Committee; 16 years as Engineering/Manufacturing manager, EXXON USA
Published in information technology, relational database design, applied statistics/queuing theory, SPC/TQM, ISO 9000, and genetic algorithm (GA) applications in Taguchi methods and production scheduling
- Best Technical Paper Award, Production Engineering, UP IE(I), 1997
- Appointed Adjunct Professor at the Centre for Quality Sciences, Hebrew University, Jerusalem, Israel, 1997
- IIT Kanpur's Outstanding Tutor Citation, 1996
- University of Toronto's APUS Outstanding Teaching Nomination 1995
- Outstanding Volunteer Service Award, Washington DC, 1980 and 1982
- Extraordinary Contribution Award, EXXON Corporation (NY), 1980
- Conducted over twenty five management development workshops
- Head Student Counseling Service IIT Kanpur (1989); Literacy Program Chair (7 years); Executive Member IE(I) Kanpur Chapter (1997)
- Successfully launched software development venture and sold product to Healthcare industry in New Jersey (1979)
- Completed three sponsored research projects funded by MHRD/AERB (GOI)
Technical Papers and Presentations
- "ISO 9000: Concepts, Methods, and Implementation", Wheeler Publishing, New Delhi, 1996, second edition, ISBN 81-85814-24-4.
- "Taguchi Methods Explained: Practical Steps to Robust Design", Prentice-Hall India Ltd., 1992, ISBN 0-87692-808-4.
- "Interactive Relational Database Design: A Logic Programming Implementation", Springer-Verlag New York, 1989, ISBN 3-540-51881-9.
- "Statistical Methods & Inspection Techniques in Quality Control: An Introduction", ISTE Govt. of India (MHRD), 1989.
- "Numerical Methods in Markov Chains and Bulk Queues", Springer-Verlag, New York, 1972, ISBN 3-540-05996-2.
Chapters in Books
- Chapter 11 in "Modeling and Analysis of Large Systems", A. Tripathy, Oxford & IBH, 1991
- Chapter IIIC in "Challenges of Change in Engineering", G K Lal and L P Singh, Tata McGraw-Hill, 1990
- Chapter on Heat & Mass Transfer, "Recent Advances in Chemical Engineering", D N Saraf and D Kunzru, Tata McGraw-Hill, 1989
Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, India 1987 onward
Professor of Industrial and Management Engineering
Undergraduate and PG teaching/research in production management, managerial economics, management information systems, database design, simulation, SQC, design of experiments, and Taguchi Methods. Designed five new UG/post graduate courses over nine years.
- Provide extensive Consultancy Services and in-plant Training to industry in TQM/ISO 9000, plant simulation, SPC and MIS/IT
- Supervise industry training for Indian and foreign engineering students in leading Indian industries
Concurrently Head of the Department 1998 onward
Industrial & Management Engineering
Concurrently Head, Institute Counseling Service 1989 - 90
- Institute In-charge of student counseling on academic, adjustment and placement matters. Headed a body of four faculty members, 40 faculty counselors, and 75 student guides.
- Mission was to provide counsel in distress/despair and career choices, and to nurture, discuss, and develop the students' interests, potential, and aspirations.
Hebrew University, Jerusalem, Israel 1997 onward
Adjunct Professor, Centre for Quality Sciences
- My mission is to initiate and promote collaborative research between IIT Kanpur and the Hebrew University; Supervise R&D initiatives in TQM and hi tech product design by Taguchi methods
University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada, 1994 - 95
CLTA Full Professor, Industrial Engineering
- Undergraduate/graduate teaching in Decision Analysis and Game Theory, Operations Management, IT and Digital Simulation.
Asian Institute of Technology, Bangkok, Thailand Fall 1989
Visiting Professor of Information Technology and MIS
Government of India assignment at the School of Management
- Led a team of six multinational faculty members to establish the MBA program at the School of Management, AIT Bangkok; Designed curricula/courses and initiated teaching in IT and MIS
EXXON Corporation, New Jersey, USA 1972 -1986
Staff Corporate Planner 1981 -1986
Direct responsibility for developing production and investment plans and their stewardship for EXXON's 600 ktons/year specialty chemicals product line operating twelve plants worldwide. Located business opportunities and initiated two n ew manufacturing ventures.
- Received Company's Extraordinary Contribution Award, 1980.
- Achieved a 7% increase in specialty chemicals plant capacity over a three years period without additional capital investment.
- Developed financial planning models (IFPS/DSS/LOTUS) to enable "what if" simulation of changing market, cost and other business conditions.
- Computerized Company's Corporate Planning methods and stewardship procedures to reduce by 33% the man-hours required to evaluate return/risk in large capital projects.
- Established Company's policy basis to guide key spare production/storage capacity decisions in an unsteady market (result published).
- Developed method and database to link Company's R&D programs/projects to actual raw material cost savings achieved by manufacturing plants.
- Designed and implemented product line's key statistical quality control system; trained workers and installed SPC in Singapore and Rio plants.
- Developed two proprietary manufacturing technologies. Managed a major R&D initiative to evaluate gas-liquid contacting to determine optimum reactor scale-up/design parameters. Guidelines became the basis for plant-scale reactors subsequently built in three countries. Transferred technology overseas; filed patent papers.
- Designed a man-machine digital simulator for use by complex petrochemical plants to identify production/productivity bottlenecks. Resulted in savings of $900K over a four year period.
- Personally directed productivity stewardship and plant-wide industrial engineering programs in Company's 9 chemical plants in US, UK, France, Italy, Canada, and Singapore.
Esso Refinery Petrochemical Plant, Canada
Supervisor, Planning and Scheduling 1973 - 1976
- Managed work of 60 plant personnel. Realized 15% increase in average production batch size over a three year period. Successfully gained deferral of capital expansion through debottlenecking and productivity.
- Provided complete mechanical and industrial engineering support to refinery's specialty chemicals plant operation.
International Technidyne Corporation, New Jersey, USA
Consultant on Call 1985 onward
- Systems engineering, operations management and quality assurance. Directly worked with the Chief Operating Officer (plant efficiency and quality) and with VP R&D (products design by Design of Experiments)
Certificate in Decision and Risk Analysis
Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, USA, July 1982
Post Doctoral research in Industrial Engineering
University of Toronto, Canada, November 1971 - November 1972
Doctor of Philosophy, Industrial Engineering
University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada, October 1971
Thesis: "Contributions to the Theory of Bulk Queues"
Supervisor: Prof JGC Templeton Ph D (Princeton)
Master of Applied Science, Industrial Engineering
University of Toronto, Toronto, Canada, June 1969
Thesis: "Performance of Production Lines with Buffer Stocks"
Supervisor: Prof John Buzacott Ph D (Birmingham)
Bachelor of Technology, Mechanical Engineering (5 year program)
Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, India, June 1967
- B Tech Project: Design, fabrication, and critical appraisal of an unconventional energy conversion device: A Thermoelectric Refrigerator
- Class rank: Top tenth
Awards and Scholarships
- Best Technical Paper Award, Institution of Engineers (UP India), 1997
- Director's Citation for Outstanding Undergraduate Tutorship in Manufacturing Processes, IIT Kanpur, 1996
- APUS Outstanding Teaching Nomination for undergraduate teaching in Decision Analysis, University of Toronto, 1995
- P.C. Mahalonobis Plaque, International Conference on Quality Engineering, Bangalore 1993
- Plaque, North India Regional Chapter of Cost Accountants, 1989
- Certificate, National Centre for Citizen Involvement, Washington, DC for outstanding volunteer service, 1982
- Extraordinary Contribution Award, EXXON (PARAMINS) 1980
- University of Toronto Open Fellow, 1970
- Merit Scholar, IIT Kanpur, 1963 and 1965; High School 1990
- Gold Medalist of High School examination Centre, 1960
Professional Affiliations and Extracurricular
- Registered Professional Engineer, Ontario, Canada (licensed to practice Industrial, Mechanical & Aerospace Engineering, since 1969
- Retained TQM/SPC/Reliability trainer at the electronics division of LML Limited, a leading two-wheeler manufacturer in India (1997 onward)
- Adjunct Professor, Centre for Quality Sciences, the Hebrew University, Jerusalem, Israel (1997) to conduct collaborative research and design and implement the Executive MBA curriculum in quality at the School of Management
- Faculty Advisor to Canadian Society of Industrial Engineers, Toronto Chapter (1993-94); Managed and planned all Chapter activities and liaison with industry and professional bodies
- Head, Institute Counseling Service (1989-90): Institute In-charge of student counseling on academic, adjustment and placement matters, IIT Kanpur
- Senate Convenor, Scholarship Committee (1990) and Convenor, Institute Time Tabling Task Force (1993). Determined feasibility of computerising IIT Kanpur's UG/PG teaching time table
- Senate Chairman (1995-97) Institute Library Committee, IIT Kanpur; Formalized 25-year expansion plan for the Central LIbrary
- Conducted in-plant Courses on Quality Assurance and Computer Applications in Business for TISCO (1987), JK (1988, in Hindi), TELCO, GEC (1990), ORDNANCE FACTORIES (1991), LML (1992) and INDAL (1995); ISO 9000 for various Process Industries (1992 onward)
- Guided Kanpur Dehat Entrepreneur/Owner (KLPL Pvt. Ltd.) in obtaining technical collaboration, process know-how, and production equipment from Malaysia to set up a Rs. 10 million latex gloves factory (1990)
- Developed Indian Society for Technical Education's package for college teachers on Statistical Methods in Quality Control (1989)
- Elected by the student body to IIT Kanpur Gymkhana Secretary (Hobbies) Chair (1966)
- Represented IIT Kanpur (Rifle Shooting, 1966) and University of Toronto (Rowing, 1968) at inter-varsity tournaments
- National Cadet Corps Pilot to the President of India (1966); Camp Senior Under Officer (the highest NCC rank in the State of Uttar Pradesh) (1965)
Postgraduate Research Guided in IIT Kanpur
- "A Parametric Study to enhance Performance of Genetic Algorithms in Multi-objective Optimization", M Tech Thesis, T D Srinivas, 1997-98 (Conference paper)
- "A New Approach for Multi-objective Flowshop & Job Shop Scheduling", M Tech Thesis, K Jayaram, 1997-98 (Conference paper )
- "An Application of Genetic Algorithms in No-wait Lot Streaming Flowshop Scheduling", M Tech Thesis, Subodha Kumar, 1997 (Two conference papers and one journal paper )
- "An Application of Genetic Algorithms in No-wait Lot Streaming Flowshop Scheduling", M Tech Thesis, Subodha Kumar, 1997 (Two conference papers and one journal paper )
- "Multi-objective Product Design Guided by Genetic Algorithms", M Tech Thesis, Jugal Prasad, 1997
- "A New Multi-variate Control Chart using SPRT", MSc (Statistics) Thesis, Akhila Vishwanathan, 1997 (Department's Citation for Excellence)
- "An Evaluation of GAs in University Time Tabling", M Tech Thesis, A Tripathy, 1997
- "Multi-objective Robust Design using Genetic Algorithms", M Tech Thesis, Puneet Sharma, 1996
- "Scheduling The Generalized Job Shop: A Solution using Genetic Algorithms", M Tech Thesis, Ankur Bhatnagar, 1996
- "Genetic Algorithms in the Search for Robust Designs: An Evaluation", M Tech Thesis, Krishan Raman, 1994
- "The Artificial Neural Network Paradigm for the Design of Acceptance Sampling Plans", M Tech Thesis, A Gupta, 1994
- "CUSUM Charts Under Inspection Error", M Sc Thesis, Puneet Prakash, 1992 (Departmental Commendation)
- "Risk Optimized Sequential Sampling Plans", M Tech Thesis, Rahul Singh, 1991 (Two conference papers and one journal paper )
- "Facility Development for Optimum Pipe Routing and Multifacility Location in Process Plant Layout Planning", M Tech Thesis in CAD, S K Prusty, 1991
- "Sequential Tests for Measuring Inspection Performance", M Sc (Statistics) Thesis, Barathi Sethuraman, 1990 (Best Project Award, 1990)
- "Design and Implementation of a Support System for Quality Assurance Decisions using Control Charts and Acceptance Sampling", M Tech Thesis, Sunil Kumar, 1990
- "Dependency Inference by Hypothesis Testing with Data Instances (for Relational Database Design)", M Tech Thesis, V K R Baratam, 1989 (one journal paper)
- "Microcomputer Implementation of Karmarker's Algorithm for Linear Programming Problems", M Sc (Statistics) Thesis, V Sivasubramanian, 1988 (Best Project Award 1988)
- "A Turbo-Prolog Implementation of some Normalization Algorithms in Relational Database Design", M Tech Thesis, Vinay K Chaudhri, 1988 (two journal papers)
- "Inventory Management for Medicine Store at a Health Centre", M Tech Thesis, Swagata Saha, 1988
- "PROMIS: A Project Review and Management System", M Tech Thesis, S Ranganath, 1988
Recent Refereed Papers
- Bagchi, T P and Shu Lin (1997) "Factorial Design Applications in Sensitivity Analysis", OPSEARCH, Vol. 34, No. 4.
- Bagchi, T P and V K Jain (1997) "Competitiveness and Total Quality Management: The Synergy is no Surprise", to appear in the International Journal of Industrial Engineering
- Bagchi, T P (1997) "Total Quality Management: The Tools and Implements", IE(I) Journal, Vol 78, May
- Bagchi, T P (1996) "Total Quality Management: The Mindset", IE(I) Journal, Vol 77, November
- Bagchi, T P and Kalyanmoy Deb, (1996). Calibration of GA Parameters: The Design of Experiments Approach, Computer Science and Informatics, Vol. 26, No. 3.
- Bagchi, T P and J G C Templeton, (1994) "Multiple Criteria Robust Design using Constrained Optimization", J. Design and Manufacturing, Vol 4
- Bagchi, T P and J G C Templeton, (1993) "Constrained Optimization: An Effective Alternative to Taguchi's Two Steps to Robust Design", OPSEARCH, Vol 30, No. 3
- Bagchi, T P and Madhu Ranjan Kumar, (1993) "Multiple-criteria Robust Design of Electronic Devices", J. Electronic Manufacturing, Vol 3
- Bagchi, T P (1992) "Sequential Tests to monitor Lot Attribute Quality in the presence of Inspection Errors", OPSEARCH, Vol 29, No. 3
- Bagchi, T P and J G C Templeton, (1992) "Numeric Sensitivity of Dodge's CSP-1 Plan to Inspection Errors", Institution of Engineers (India) Journal, July
- Bagchi, T P (1992) "Inspection Errors and Consumer and Producer Risks", OPSEARCH, Vol 29, No. 2
- Rahul Singh and T P Bagchi (1992) "Decision Theoretic Derivation of Sampling Plans", Industrial Engineering Journal (India), Vol XXI, No. 3, March
- Bagchi, T P (1991) "Impact of Inspection Errors on Consumer and Producer Risks in Sequential Sampling", Industrial Engineering Journal (India), Vol XX, No. 10, November
- Bagchi, T P (1991) "Use of Large-Scale Modeling to Assist in Spare Production Capacity Policy Formulation" in Modeling and Analysis of Large Systems, Oxford & IBH
- Bagchi T P , V K R Baratam and S Saha, (1990) "Dependency Inference Algorithms for Relational Database Design", Computers in Industry (Elsevier), Vol 14
- Bagchi, T P and J G C Templeton (1973) "Finite Waiting Space Bulk Queuing Systems", Journal of Engineering Mathematics, Vol 7(4), Oct.
- Bagchi, T P and J G C Templeton (1973) "A Note on the Mx/Gy/1 Bulk Queuing System", Journal of Applied Probability, Vol 10
- Bagchi, T P and A A Cunnigham (1972) "Bayesian Approach to the Design of Queuing Systems", INFOR Journal, Vol 10 (1), February
Earlier research in queuing theory and decision analysis, published in Journal of Applied Probability, Canadian Operations Research Society Journal, J. Engg. Math., and AICHE J.
Recent Conference Presentations
- Bagchi Tapan P, Subodha Kumar (1998) "Scheduling Jobs in the m-Machine, no-wait, lot streaming flowshop", INCOM'98, 24-26 June, Nancy-Metz, France, Proceedings
- Bagchi Tapan P, Subodha Kumar and C Sriskandarajah (1998) "Lot Streaming Heuristics for the m-Machine, No-wait, Lot Streaming Flowshop, Symposium on Industrial Engineering and Management", May 19-22, Ryerson Polytechnic University, Toronto, Canada, Proceedings
- Bagchi Tapan P (1997) Competitive Design by Quality Engineering, Delphique, India, Vol. 3, Proceedings
- Bagchi Tapan P, Subodha Kumar and C Sriskandarajah (1997) "Scheduling Heuristics for the m-Machine, No-wait, Lot Streaming Flowshop", ICCIM'97, 21-24 October, Singapore, Proceedings
- Bagchi Tapan P, and JGC Templeton (1997) "Multi-Objective Robust Design using Genetic Algorithms", 14th ICPR International Conference on Production Research, 4-8 August, Osaka, Japan, Proceedings
- Bagchi Tapan P, (1997) "Competitiveness and TQM: Is the Synergy really a Surprise?", PICMET'97 Portland International Conference on Management of Engineering and Technology, July 27-31, Portland, Oregon, USA, Proceedings
- Bagchi Tapan P, Krishan Raman and Puneet Sharma (1997) "Multicriteria Robust Design using Nondominated Sorting Genetic Algorithms", III ISSAT International Conference on Reliability and Quality in Design, March 12-14, Anaheim, California, USA, Proceedings
- Bagchi Tapan P, (1997) "Quality Engineering: An Introduction", XIIth National Convention, IE(India), January 31-February 2, Proceedings
- Bagchi Tapan P, Deepak Saxena, Jugal Prasad, Subodha Kumar, AK Shah (1997) "Injection Molding Productivity Improvement by Revisiting Design of Experiments", ICOQM International Conference, Jaipur, January 5-8
- Bagchi Tapan P, Krishan Raman and Puneet Sharma (1996) "Multicriteria Robust Design using Enhanced Genetic Algorithms", 76th Annual Technical Meeting, UP State Institution of Engineers (India), November 16-17, (Best Paper Award)
- Bagchi Tapan P and Chelliah Sriskandarajah (1996) "A Genetic Algorithm to Minimize Makespan in a Blocking Flowshop", 1996 Asia Pacific DSI Conference, June 21-22, Hong Kong, Proceedings
- Bagchi Tapan P (1996) "Blocking Flowshop Scheduling using Genetic Algorithms", Optimization Days 1996 International Conference (INFOR), May 13-15, Montreal, Canada
- Bagchi Tapan P (1996) "Guiding Simulation Runs by Genetic Algorithms in Product Design", IASTED International Conference on Modeling, Simulation and Optimization, May 6-9, Gold Coast, Australia
- Bagchi Tapan P (1996) "Software Quality: Would ISO 9000 Impact It?" INFORMS Spring 1996 Conference, May 5-8, Washington DC, USA
- Bagchi T P (1995) "Candybars to Chromosomes: The Evolution of Quality Engineering", National Conference on Science-Technology Interface, November 9-11, Calcutta, Proceedings
- Bagchi T P, Krishan Raman and JGC Templeton (1995) "Effectiveness of Evolutionary Searches in Robust Design", INFORMS International Conference, June 25-28, Singapore
- Bagchi T P, and Shu Lin (1995) "Efficient Evolution of Sensitive Decisions in Tree-based Analysis", , INFORMS International Conference, June 25-28, Singapore
- Bagchi T P (1995) "Statistical Experiments in Product/Process Design: How the Japanese Do It", National Conference on Science-Technology Interface, November 9-11, Calcutta, Proceedings
- Bagchi, T P and J G C Templeton (1994) "Global Optimization as Robust Design Methodology", CORS'94, Montreal, May
- Bagchi, T P and J G C Templeton (1994) "Robust Design Engineering using Variance Transfer", ISSAT International Conference, Seattle, WA, March
- Bagchi, T P (1993) "Quality Improvement Methods and Achievements", invited paper, National Conference on Quality in the Global Economic Context, Calcutta, December
- Krishan Raman and T P Bagchi (1993) "A Genetic Algorithm Based Approach to seek Robust Designs", Operational Research Society of India XXVI Annual Convention, December
- Gupta, Arun K and T P Bagchi (1993) "Selecting Acceptance Sampling Plans: The Artificial Neural Net Route", Operational Research Society of India XXVI Annual Convention, December
- Bagchi, T P (1993) "Some Innovations in Robust Design", Operational Research Society of India XXVI Annual Convention, December
- Bagchi, T P and J G C Templeton (1993) "Sequential and Continuous Sampling under Inspection Error", CORS Conference, Toronto, May
- Bagchi, T P and J G C Templeton (1993) "A Constrained Optimization Refinement of Taguchi's 2-step Robust Design", CORS Conference, Toronto, May
- Bagchi, T P (1992) "Measurement and the International Quality Management Standard ISO 9000", All India Seminar on Instrumentation Systems for Quality Control in Industries, Institution of Engineers, Raipur, December 21, 1992
- Bagchi, T P and J G C Templeton (1992) "Multiple Criteria Robust Design", CORS Annual Meeting, Toronto, June 1-3
- Bagchi, T P (1991) "Effect of Inspection Errors on Consumer and Producer Risks in Sequential Sampling", International Conference on Information and Systems (ICIS) Oct. 9-11, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
- Bagchi, T P and Rahul Singh (1991) "Decision Theoretic Derivation of Sequential Sampling Plans", International Conference on Information and Systems (ICIS) Oct. 9-11, Zhejiang University, Hangzhou, China
- Bagchi, T P and J G C Templeton (1991) , "The Sensitivity of Dodge's CSP-1 Plan to Inspection Errors", ORSA Annual Meeting, San Diego, CA, November
- Bagchi, T P (1991) "Planning Industrial Experiments to get Results from Taguchi Methods", invited paper, NIQR National Convention, Jamshedpur, November
- Bagchi, T P (1991) "Design of Sequential Sampling Plans when the Inspector's Performance is not Error Free", NIQR national Convention, Jamshedpur, November
- Bagchi, T P (1990) "The Push Toward Total Quality Control (TQC)" Proceedings, Fifth Indian Engineering Congress, December
- Bagchi, T P (1989) "An Effective Method for Scaling Up GAs-Liquid Batch Contacting", ICACE International Conference Proceedings
- Bagchi, T P and V K Chaudhri (1988) "A Turbo-Prolog Implementation of Automating Relational Database Design", Annual ORSI Conference
- Bagchi, T P (1988) "Planning for the Optimum Capacity in the Design of a Plant when Demand is known to Fluctuate", Annual ORSI Conference
Recent Continuing Education Courses Conducted
- TOTAL QUALITY MANAGEMENT, October 5-9, 1996, IIT Kanpur
- STATISTICAL METHODS IN ISO 9000: METHODS AND IMPLEMENTATION, October 12-15, 1995, IIT Kanpur
- TAGUCHI METHODS: INDUSTRY APPLICATIONS FOR PROCESS PERFORMANCE, October 9-12, 1993, IIT Kanpur
- ISO 9000: CONCEPTS, METHODS AND IMPLEMENTATION, October 7- 10, 1992, IIT Kanpur
- INDUSTRIAL SAFETY AND ENVIRONMENT, March 28, 1992 sponsored by the National Safety Council, UP Chapter and the Directorate of Factories, UP Govt.; Regional Labour Institute, Kanpur
- REFRESHER COURSE ON EXPERT SYSTEMS ANDS NEURAL NETWORKS, October 28-31, 1991 (IEEE), IIT Kanpur
- ADVANCES IN QUALITY MANAGEMENT PRACTICES, January 20-24, 1992, IIT Kanpur, covering Control Charts, Sampling Methods, ISO 9000 Standards, Taguchi Methods, and SQC Applications Development on the PC
- MANAGEMENT OF QUALITY: Opportunities and Methods, November 24-25, 1989, Conducted by invitation of the Asian Institute of Technology Continuing Education Program, Bangkok, Thailand.